Monday, February 19, 2007

Another Question

This is my question: What do you think the theme of "The Pearl" might be? Well, overall I don't agree with the main theme. I believe that the book is saying that your life is set in stone, and you have no right to make it better (as said, but not exactly, by Juan Tomas on p.52). I don't believe that Kino is wrong to want a bettter life for himself and his family. I think it's natural and right for him to want that. But everyone is against him. And as he pulls harder and harder to try to be free of this "theme", he slowly loses everything and goes insane. The book makes sense, if the Pearl of the World was found that might happen, but I don't like the theme that Steinbeck is driving at us. What do you guys think?

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I don't know. There's seems to be a difference or contrast betweent the old and the new, the unknown and the known, the wealthy and the poor and then what happens when they break out from that contrast. I didn't totally understand what you were saying but this is what I think.

laura said...

Yes, there is a contrast, and I'm trying to say that Steinbeck's saying that that contrast is unbreakable. I sort of agree with that, but not really, because sometimes situations like Kino's do work out.And I think that it's right to want a better life for yurself and your family if you can get a better life.

Koko said...

I think that the themes are contrasts and illusions maybe you can combine those somehow...
Koko